Originally constructed as a high school in 1895, this Richardsonian Romanesque building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and now serves as the home for PGSMOA. Careful design sensitivities were required to balance the ability of the facility to service modern museum exhibit needs with the need to protect the historic nature of the building, and while also making infrastructure improvements to provide for its long-term viability.
Where historic windows, finishes, and equipment required covering in order to provide functional display walls, creative details were developed maximize functionality while minimizing damage. Painstaking restoration and replication of historic wood, plaster, stone and ironwork was undertaken, as was a complete window and roof replacement. Infrastructure improvements included structural, mechanical and electrical system upgrades. Significant site restoration was undertaken, including replicating an original formal arrival area, which incorporated historic lighting and decorative donor-recognition pavers.
Location: Great Falls, MT
Size: 45,000 SF